> I'm very puzzled by the memory usage in recent builds of osol-dev.

Yep.

E.g. on my b129 box a gnome-terminal process
is using 68 (!) shared libraries

    % pldd `pgrep -x gnome-terminal` | wc -l
      68

And I see lots of virtual memory used for mapping
the various font / icon-theme / mime / ... caches.
Seems that 20% of the memory used by a gnome-
terminal is used by these mapped cache files.

    % pmap -x `pgrep -x gnome-terminal` | grep cache | wc -l
      55
    % pmap -x `pgrep -x gnome-terminal` | nawk '/cache/ { i += $3; } END {print
i}'
    13720

(55 mapped file, 13,72 mbytes resident in memory)

It also seems excessive that the (sparse?)
/usr/share/icons/*/icon-theme.cache
files consume more memory than all of the icon
files in a subdirectory combined.

A lot of that memory is shared between processes, though.