> while in my laptop I have an onboard intel :
> PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:27a2:1028:01c2 Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
> 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 3, Mem @
> 0xeff00000/524288, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xefec0000/262144, I/O @
> 0x0000eff8/8, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
> (==) intel(0): VideoRam: 262144 KB

Hmm, so the laptop has 1G of ram, and the onboard
intel video grabs 256M of it, so that only 768M remain
for the operating system.  Does this system have any
bios setup options to reduce the amount of video memory
allocated for the onboard intel video?

> I guess there is nothing more to do, but it still
> certainly feels like Xorg is very demanding
> Should I try to increase swap allocation (512M feels
> a bit short maybe) ?

You can try that, and it should help with the fork failures.
But having more memory available for the OS (install more
memory or at least reduce the amount grabbed by intel video)
would probably be better.