Ok I have ONLY 1G mem, not much nowadays but anyway.
This laptop has been tested on different systems, first of all it runs WinXP
(at work) but I have also run gentoo (from stage 1 !, all self-compiled) and I
never felt it unresponsive or slow.
even running emerge -uD world was OK compared to what it feels withy pkg.
At least you had some output to watch ;-)
and I never had to stop browsing the web because I was updating my system.

My main grief is not the time it takes, but that you cannot do anything during
this time. Even shell windows go grey.

Bruno