On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Bruno Damour <br...@ruomad.net> wrote:
> Ok I have ONLY 1G mem, not much nowadays but anyway.
> This laptop has been tested on different systems, first of all it runs WinXP
> (at work) but I have also run gentoo (from stage 1 !, all self-compiled) and
> I never felt it unresponsive or slow.
> even running emerge -uD world was OK compared to what it feels withy pkg.
> At least you had some output to watch ;-)
> and I never had to stop browsing the web because I was updating my system.
>
> My main grief is not the time it takes, but that you cannot do anything
> during this time. Even shell windows go grey.
>
> Bruno

Good description.
It is completely impossible to work with or on anything, while pkg is
doing his day-long trip.
Not even running two big builds would bring the a given box in such a
state (such as compiling OS/Net and X11 at once).
That´s the main point. Just keeping it running (like wget) would not
be that bad.

--
%mab