On 02/27/10 03:50 PM, Jürgen Keil wrote:
I ran pkg install with truss, in the hope of
discovering why it takes so long to complete,
especially AFTER it has reported that every thing is installed.
You are running a fresh install of b133, correct?
yes, install from livecd as I couldn't upgrade b132

Has pkg been always that slow?

I think maybe not that slow before, say b130, especially not in the post-install phase (cretaing plan as alxways been a bit slow but after it went rather well AFAIK
I suspect that pkg has been reasonably fast for the
first few packages that you installed, but has
become slower and slower the more packages
have been installed?

Not that much packages installed after fress install
I ran into this (for me) mysterious result :

# truss -o pkg.log -D pkg install diagnostic/wireshark
# tail pkg.log
1.7255  schedctl()                                      = 0xFEC69000
0.0002  sigaction(SIGINT, 0x08047650, 0x080476D0)       = 0
421.4744        open("/usr/lib/locale/en_US.UTF-8/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo",
O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
Yep, a truss with options "-m all -t all" shows that there
are lots of FLTPAGE pagefaults before the failed
LC_MESSAGES/messages open.