You (Tim Wright) wrote:
> I'm confused - when was that QuickSpec doc published?

Don't know, the doc itself says something like March, 19th...

> We had our account team in again a couple days ago, with the news (as of 2am
> that day) that...
>
> 1) Solaris would no longer be supported on G7 hardware onwards
> 2) HP have pulled their Solaris engineering team

Which account team? Oracle/Sun or HP? If Oracle/Sun I would be really curious
as to where they got that info about HP... So, we need to get some authoritive
answer from HP here...

> This adds to the previous news that Oracle had executed the termination
> clause on the HP OEM agreement. HP will be able to continue to sell 1 and 3
> year support contracts until Summer 2010, giving an effective EOL of 2013.

> The position on support for existing deployments (older generations) is still
> not clear, although support for releases beyond U9 are under question.

Internally to Sun/Oracle it is clear. You can prolong as long as one thing is
clear: You have an entitlement. That entitlement is bound to the hardware (not
re-sellable, so it must stay with the original owner). Then you can update to
whatever comes out...

If you got that info from HP have them escalte it interally to HP, and have
that upper HP management persons who talks to Oracle/Sun have his Oracle/Sun
counterpart look at:

> Please find an updated version of the Solaris Overview and FAQ on Licensing
> and Support document on the Oracle Solaris page on My Oracle :
>   https://my.oracle.com/site/pd/sss/products/solaris/index.htm
>
> It is visible in the "News" and "Oracle Solaris" sections.

It's an Oracle/Sun internal page, which clarifies all the things discussed
here in great detail.

> I'm trying to avoid the FUD myself as a large (30K+ servers) customer and a
> huge Solaris fan/shop; deploying Solaris on HP for over 3 years. Please don't
> shoot the messenger (I know account teams get it wrong or don't have the
> absolute latest info)...

  Matthias
--
Matthias Pfützner | Tel.: +49 700 PFUETZNER      | Was ist der Unterschied
Lichtenbergstr.73 | mailto:matth...@pfuetzner.de | zwischen Männern und