> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/27/idc_q1_2010_se
> rver_nums/
>
> Which if read in context did not say that Solaris,
> HP-UX or AIX were frozen,
> just that *if* that happened, then Linux would gain
> more market share.
>
> The non-misleading in-context quote is:
>
> It is hard to imagine Linux attaining more than
>  25 per cent share,
> unless something really awful happens in the Unix
>  base.
> Like Oracle, Hewlett-Packard, or IBM freezing
>  development of
> their respective Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX
>  platforms.
> So it's hypothetical speculation about what could
> happen if something
> unforeseen happens.
>
> --
> -Alan Coopersmith-
> -        alan.coopersm...@oracle.com
> Oracle Solaris Platform Engineering: X Window
> ow System

It does make better sense now, i should of gone back and re-read it.  since I'm
studying to become Solaris certified  the way the paragraph was written  was
bugging me the entire day.  I would hate to see Solaris and OpenSolaris
disappear.  I guess what is leading the author to come to this  speculation is
since currently the Linux and Windows  OS on x86 platform market share is
increasing  whereas the UNIX units and mainframes  market have somewhat
stalled according to Gartner and if this trend continues it may lead companies
to down scale  non- x86 platforms.

I just read AMD opterons and Linux is powering the worlds fastest
supercomputer. If the x86 platform and Linux now  has the capacity to  produce
this type of results, where does  this leave Power and SPARC platfroms?
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-opterontm-processor-again-dominates-top500-2010-05-31?reflink=MW_news_stmp