Speaking from an HPC perspective, it is interesting how the market shifted
years ago. I remember when most HPC shops were buy Alphas, SGI's, and Crays
with distaste for x86. While those platforms were more expensive, the reality
is that they took up less space and complexity. For example, 5 x quad Alphas
could easily out perform a few racks of x86 gear hands down. But, it was the
low entry price and hype that drew the purchasers of such systems using Linux
on x86. It was never a performance difference or capabilities as the software
was portable to begin with. So instead of a few racks of gear, you have rows
after rows of x86 gear.

And sadly, you see the same thing in the enterprise today with Windows and
Linux. Even with VMware, VM sprawl is forcing companies to look at cloud
computing to drive down the costs. With all the power and cooling hungry x86
gear eating up the floor space, it certainly makes SPARC and Power fanboys
laugh. But unfortunately, it's not the best technology that wins.. it's usually
the 80/20 rule of sub-par, sub-standard, technology that wins due to costs,
familiarity, and accessibility.

At the end of the day, it probably makes sense for Oracle to focus on the
mid-range to high-end for SPARC. If Oracle can make Containers, LDoms, and DSDs
as easy to manage as VMware.. that could change the game. Making all this great
technology more accessible will help grow business. The more specialized it is,
the harder it is for organizations to invest in it.

Octave J. Orgeron
Solaris Virtualization Architect and Consultant
Web: http://unixconsole.blogspot.com
E-Mail: unixcons...@yahoo.com