> > From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
> [mailto:opensolaris-
> > discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of
> Richard L. Hamilton
> >
> > But when they release documents (that had both Sun
> and
> > Oracle's name on them) saying that OpenSolaris the
> distro would
> > have an update in the 1st half of 2010, and then
> they don't come
> > through, but generally fail to explain why, that
> encourages FUD.
>
> No.  Trolls encourage FUD.

Well sure.  I oversimplified, if you like. But
authoritative information, although it
won't eliminate trolls or FUD, will create a climate in
which their effects are minimized, and its absence
will at the very least do nothing to counter FUD, and
when its absence contradicts prior statements
(and thus established expectations), that's certainly
not helpful.  No, a statement in and of itself isn't
binding.  But simple courtesy, if nothing else, would
call for some explanation of what's changed if one
says one is going to do something, and then doesn't.

> The missed release date doesn't encourage FUD if you
> just relax about it,
> and ask yourself why do you care so much.  Does it
> create any material
> difference to you, affect your bank statement, impact
> your personal health,
> if 2010.x is delayed?  For the meantime, you can

No, not in my case (although arguably so in the case of some
3rd party developers), and no, in that order.

> continue using the
> developer builds, or 2009.06, whichever you prefer.
>  Or sol10.
> Are you scared that osol will cease to exist?  That's
> not possible.

Bits don't vanish off my disks, esp. if I have backups.
I understand that.  And in any case, there are copies
of both source and binary distro stored on more than
one non-Oracle server, so I'm well aware nothing that
already exists will vanish.

> Are you scared that oracle will cease development
> efforts on osol?  This is
> the worst case possible scenario.  If oracle suddenly
> fired every employee
> who ever worked on osol, it would not make today's
> osol a bad product
> overnight.  If you're using it, you can continue
> using it.  You will have
> plenty of time in the next year or two, to think
> about what OS you're going
> to use next, and gracefully switch to it, before any
> significant feature is
> missing from osol.

No, I'm not worried at all about that either.  In fact,
I'm quite comfortable that they'll keep chugging away
on development, and keep at least as much of the source
open as is open now.

I would however very much like to know what expectations
I _should_ have, given that the ones that were previously
justifiable based on the latest then-authoritative statements
are no longer valid.

I also think it would be desirable to continue to have a
distro-like mechanism for staying close to what the developers
are running, in case one wishes to either contribute or to write
application or utility code that takes advantage of very new features.

So no, it's not a crisis to be left in limbo for awhile.  But darn if
I see that it accomplishes any good thing, and it certainly fails
to prevent bad things, and for those who thought they had a
basis for making plans, it's at least in some sense disruptive.