> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Graham McArdle
>
> One of the selling points of Solaris
> was that the same kernel runs on everything from a laptop to a
> mainframe

Not sure I get you there.  (a) how is that different from anything else
(every OS I know of is like that) and (b) what's the value-add?  Why would
anybody care very much about that?

> Now that no-one
> will pay to support Solaris running on anything smaller than a
> mainframe

What???  I'm afraid I'm going to have to call your bluff here.  You mean all
those 1U and 2U and 4U servers from Oracle, Dell, etc, sold with solaris?
You don't think people buy them?  Or you think they count as "mainframe?"

> For
> businesses that like to have a single OS for all systems to keep
> sysadmin work simple,

It is standard practice to run a different OS on your laptop and your
server.  A laptop OS is not appropriate for a server, and vice-versa.  They
have different design requirements, and standard practice for any serious IT
person would be to run the best OS for the job at hand.

Opensolaris and solaris are for servers.  Not desktops.  Yes you can use it
for a desktop if you want, but it's not designed for that purpose, and not
good compared to other products in that arena.