On 07/ 6/10 01:13 AM, Ian Collins wrote:
On 07/ 6/10 04:48 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
Opensolaris and solaris are for servers. Not desktops. Yes you can use it for a desktop if you want, but it's not designed for that purpose, and not
good compared to other products in that arena.

So what do you suggest I use for my Solaris development work?

I saw this last night and didn't respond, but today is a new day.

I agree with Ian. Why would you need acroreader on a server? Why would you even need Firefox and Thunderbird? The list goes on. I use Opensolaris as a workstation. My CAD program, Pro-Engineer, is the main application. I can do just about anything to support the application utilizing Gimp, Openoffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, and Acroreader. The list goes on, for a server platform, it sure has a lot of desktop applications.

What I believe is Sun tried to make Opensolaris perform as a Desktop-Server, just like Microsoft does. If it works for Microsoft why won't it work for Opensolaris.

OK, now that was Sun. Now it's Oracle. They have different plans for Solaris/Opensolaris. Based on the Radio Silence no one knows. I still believe the need some desktop functionality to use as Ian states for development purposes. X86 computers fill this need great. So Oracle hasn't released any new workstations, so it's got me worried, but it may balance out later, as you need something to develop on,

Paul