Hi Calum,

Calum Benson píše v út 06. 07. 2010 v 21:19 +0100:
> On 6 Jul 2010, at 20:50, Rafael Barros Felix de Sousa wrote:
>
> > Without the open source community (usually made of hardcore users with
> > extensive knowledge of computing who usually work in IT companies or
> > universities) support, they would lose even more clients, after all who
> > would advocate for them besides theyselves also who would test their system
> > before production release?
>
> While I'm sure we can all think of several potential disadvantages to closing
> the Solaris source again, I wouldn't say lack of QA would be one of them.
> Closed source, commercial software gets released all the time with sufficient
> testing, for example through formal beta programmes with paying customers --
> very much like Sun used to do with Solaris, in fact.

Just my personal oppinion - yes, there would be no "lack of QA" even in
such bad situation, of course, but wider usage of "pre-released"
versions is benefitial every time. None of QA can catch all real-life
bugs (otherwise I would have no job in Solaris space).

Personally I submitted bunch of CRs (including critical) only because
somebody external had access to OpenSolaris and used it for his/her
usecases. Also I fixed several unpleasant bugs discovered by external
users (and not by QA for years). With high probability these bugs would
not be discovered in QA process and would impact critical production
systems later.

So, this is one of the biggest benefits of free community, I think.

Best regards,

Milan