On 07/14/10 06:12 PM, Peter Tribble wrote:

Not just that, but weaning the community off its dependency on
the distribution that happens to confusingly share the community's
name but is really a closed venture over which we have no influence.

In the past when Sun was distributing Opensolaris Development there was no reason for the weaning

Great idea. Not what the current OGB, as the OGB, is chartered to do.
The OGB would really have to quit the current system and reform in
some other guise, or a new body would have to take this on.

Maybe this is whats planned if "they cut their heads off". I didn't agree with that decision, but now I'm starting to think of it as a well planned decision.

So the OGB would have to violate its own rules and act contrary to
what we were elected for. Again, the OGB would really have to quit
the current system and reform in some other guise, or new people
could start afresh.

For all this, anybody could have done it over the past 5 years or
so. Anybody still can.

Like I said previously, there was no need until now, Sun kept us satisfied.

Some of my thoughts,

If this happens and is planned out good enough, and enough volunteers join, they could get a good Desktop OS (something I believe Oracle doesn't want), and in my eyes still give Linux a run for its money. We would also keep the kernel stable. I know I could volunteer for some type of non-coding task (I'm a Electro/Mechanical Eng, not a programmer). Maybe marketing, or technical documents when needed. I will keep posted.

Paul