On 07/16/10 01:26 PM, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
I like the idea of a minimalist distro, backed by a robust IPS.  This is
something which probably should have been started in the first place (instead
of the current IMHO impossible mess).

Now that you mentioned this great idea of putting together a minimalist distro,
has anyone ever thought about Milax?  I have only taken a short cut and tried
to install it in VirtualBox, but have not succeeded.  Has any successfully
installed and run Firrefox 3.6.6 and OpenOffice.org 3.2 in Milax?  The website
seems to indicate that we can run SVR4 and IPS packages in Milax?

Furthermore, a couple years ago, there was a shockingly beautiful
desktop-oriented true OpenSolaris derivative (meaning IPS-based) coming from
Japan called LifeWithSolaris (or JARIS, JApan solaRIS).  This site was shut
down by, as this little dirty mind of mine has always strongly suspected, one
of Sun's people (but not one of its developers).  There was a strong reason for
my suspension but I have zero proof.  I am wondering whether there is any way
to locate this developer.  At a time like this, he or she can be very helpful.

lifewithsolaris was just a user run site that provided some packages that were patent and/or license encumbered.

JARIS as far as I know had nothing to do with that and is still going just fine here:

http://jaris.jp/

Cheers,
-Shawn