On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Joerg Schilling <
joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> > > The problem is that Sun/Oracle did already fork and changed things
> without
> > > asking the comunity whether this to be accepted by the community.
> >
> > That's not forking, that's just Sun controlling the project as they
> always
> > did - there's still just one source tree and the same basic groups
> working
> > on it.   The community never had a choice of accepting or denying Sun's
> work.
> > The original constitution may have mistakenly given the illusion that it
> > could, but in practice, we all knew that wasn't true.   The community
> could
> > never say "Sorry Sun, we know you spent millions developing, testing and
>
> Well I am not sure whether you have been in Santa Clara on September 14th
> 2004.
> At that time, it was obviouy that Sun was speaking about a co-development
> between people from Sun and people fron the external community.
>
> I still believe that we need this model in order to make OpenSolaris a
> successfull OSS project.

I partially agree with this, Jörg.
I'm thinking in examples such as GNU/Linux, and its 75% of large company
contributed code. Not only Red Hat, Canonical, or some other typical
GNU/Linux distro company.
A lot of the code has been a contribution of several other companies.
In fact, there is no company and/or community with more than a 20% of code
contribution.
We can continue with a co-development, but I think it's time to make some
efforts to involve some other companies interested in the OpenSolaris /
Solaris continuity, such as Fujitsu, for example.
Best regards,

HeCSa.

> Jörg
>
> --