Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@oracle.com> wrote:

> joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> > The problem is that Sun/Oracle did already fork and changed things without
> > asking the comunity whether this to be accepted by the community.
>
> That's not forking, that's just Sun controlling the project as they always
> did - there's still just one source tree and the same basic groups working
> on it.   The community never had a choice of accepting or denying Sun's work.
> The original constitution may have mistakenly given the illusion that it
> could, but in practice, we all knew that wasn't true.   The community could
> never say "Sorry Sun, we know you spent millions developing, testing and

Well I am not sure whether you have been in Santa Clara on September 14th 2004.
At that time, it was obviouy that Sun was speaking about a co-development
between people from Sun and people fron the external community.

I still believe that we need this model in order to make OpenSolaris a
successfull OSS project.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin