>Rob asked: "Where do we get started to form a
>Community Distro, based on the latest sources including IPS. Not a cut
>down version, or replacing the userland (no offence there, that's good
>work too), just a take on Solaris Next based on the latest available
>bits."

You already have 'community distros'  and forums like Nexenta, Korona
(KDE4Solaris), and Belenix as the OpenSolaris-based communities currently
providing recent updates to either the desktop environment or backporting
kernel patches.

Understand that the OpenSolaris project was always a part of the bigger picture
in creating the next Solaris OS major update. Sun provided source code and
kickstarted the OpenSolaris project forum. The 'Indiana distro' was just a
channel to provide binaries of various project consolidation work (i.e. JDS, X,
 g18N/i18n, Docs, Caiman, GRUB, etc) in a bootable CD format. Project Indiana
was the start - but not the end. The intent was to have this core distro
kickstart and assist  other developers to create distros of their own. At all
times, some other group, like Belenix, could launch and spearhead their own
distro. The intent was not to keep providing a full core distro forever - it
was moreso to get developers into creating their own distros using the
OpenSolaris kernel and core environment.

See: http://www.genunix.org/distributions/ and
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/on/downloads/b144 .

Example: In two options: I can provide you with apples or teach you to raise an
apple tree to provide yourself with apples. Most people will chose the former
option and blame someone if the apples are not fresh or came in a plastic bag
versus a wood basket.

Oracle actually took the source IP it bought and is continuing to work on the
updates to 'Solaris' (i.e. Solaris 10u9/11) and maintain the tested release of
OSOL 2009.06 (SRU10+). Eventually, those tracks will consolidate to the next
new major release of the commercial Solaris product for 'production/data
center' use and major OS migrations - superceding all previous legacy
incarnations of Solaris OS, OpenSolaris 2009.06, and the proposed OpenSolaris
2010.03.

Hence, the fork is inevitable by prior design. Look at Milax, Nexenta, or
Belenix. They have their own community forums and distributions based on the
Opensolaris sources.

So start by helping the existing distro providers that can provide
OpenSoalris-based consolidations on physical media. Many of them have what
people need or can help make it happen or conduct talks of a unified 'community
distro' supported by the former OpenSolaris-based distributors.

But as in any science project, its good to have people 'do their own thing'
while 'also' working in a collaborative fashion to provide a community distro
and forums in a unified effort. Start with existing distros in just updating
them with the newer kernel(s) - don't try to update a bunch of consolidations
and packages just yet.

Sometimes, just getting a chance to stand on home plate to swing a baseball bat
and striking out is better than just sitting only on the benches...

~ Ken Mays