On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Robert Milkowski <mi...@task.gda.pl> wrote:
> On 24/07/2010 02:39, Shawn Walker wrote:
>>
>> On 07/23/10 04:41 PM, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>>>
>>> Why?  IPS was shoved down the community's throat in a heavy handed and
>>> decidedly not FOSS manner.
>>
>> Sorry, but that's simply not true.
>>
>> The pkg(5) project has been one of the few projects that is actually very
>> open.  It was the first to use defect.opensolaris.org for bugtracking, it's
>> licensed under the CDDL, and at the moment any contributor (even external
>> ones) can get commit access upon approval by the project team members.
>>
>> It has active, external contributors to the project (including myself at
>> one point a few years ago before I was employed for the project), and is one
>> of the few to push almost all design and development discussions onto a
>> public os.org mailing list.
>>
>> Remember that this community and the projects that provide the basis for
>> various OpenSolaris distributions remain largely a meritocracy -- those that
>> do the work get to make the decisions.
>>
>> There are plenty of open source projects that have made decisions
>> unpopular with their user community.  That doesn't make those projects any
>> less FOSS, nor does it justify claims of "forcing" something on a community.
>>
> I have yet to see any large FOSS project which does some kind of community
> voting, or something like that.
> I agree with you 100%.
>
> The only problem I can see in regards to how IPS was introduced that perhaps
> more explanation to the community at the project inception about why IPS and
> not something else would do good... a little bit more open dialog with the
> community before you start coding on why IPS, what are its design goals,
> etc. would help here. As most of it happened well after you made your mind
> and started coding therefor some people felt being disregarded. But after
> this you are right - it's probably one of the most open projects here.
>
> But honestly, it is only a relatively small group of people here who are
> complaining about IPS design - but then they do not propose (code please)
> any real alternative. Most of the end-users I know do like IPS actually -
> they used to complain that it is slow (which is still the case sometimes) or
> that it consumes too much memory which is especially visible on notebooks,
> etc. But generally they do like it and one can see how it has been improving
> over time.

   To stir the pot here, since we are discussing a "Community Distro"
   as opposed to a SUN/Oracle distro, IPS when used remotely from
   halfway across the world has large performance issues. For example
   in Bangalore I personally know no one outside the SUN India office
   who have successfully updated packages on their OpenSolaris
   installations let alone do an image-update in a sane amount of time.
   In comparison things like YUM or Apt-Get are reasonable even over
   512Kbps.

   Having said that I am not going to make vague statements. I will
   do my own testing over a 2Mbps broadband link and post
   measurements.

Regards,
Moinak.