On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Marion Hakanson <hakan...@ohsu.edu> wrote:
> rea...@newsguy.com said:
>> Why is the console interface left so primitive?.
>>   Seems it would at least have a usable mouse so one could have some chance
>> of copy paste when there are what appear to be important messages written to
>> console.
>
> Hi Harry,
>
> As someone else mentioned, most of this stuff will end up in the
> /var/adm/messages file.  Except, of course, for the very interesting
> lowest-level boot problems.

In which case you can edit the kernel line in grub to add a -k option
to the boot options.  If the system panics, you will be dropped to a
kmdb prompt.  You can manually enter kmdb with F1-A or shift-break
from a text console.  You can use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to shift to the text
console if you aren't there already.  Once at the kmdb prompt, you can
use ::msgbuf to see the things that have scrolled off the screen.  You
should get the output a page at a time.  If you need to provide this
information to mailing lists, take a somewhat low resolution picture
of it (e.g. a 1 megapixel picture from your mobile phone is most
likely quite adequate).

kmdb allows you to do many other interesting things, such as looking
at running processes (::ptree, ::ps, ...) looking as to why a
particular process is hung (::pgrep hungprocess | ::walk thread |
::findstack -v).  If you are inclined to dig into this further, I
would suggest perusing the mdb manual.  Pretty much everything that
works with "mdb -k" works with kmdb.  The key exception that I've
noticed is the lack of the ! operator to pipe dcmd output to a shell
command.  Considering that the OS is stopped while you are at a kmdb
prompt, it's not surprising that ! doesn't work.

The serial console advice below is also quite helpful if you have
suitable hardware.  Unfortunately, many systems these days lack a
serial port.  I doubt (without testing - I may be quite wrong) that a
serial port hanging off of a USB port will be a very poor/fragile
console.

> What you need to solve such "scrolling off the screen" problems is
> something even lower tech:  a serial (RS232, COM-port) console.
> Not all desktop PC BIOS'es can redirect their BIOS text to a COM
> port, but Solaris & Linux can be told to do so for their system
> console input & output.  And grub itself can be told to do this
> as well.
>
> Then you hook up your troublesome machine's serial (COM) port to
> a working machine's serial port, fire up a terminal emulator (Windows
> hyperterm will work;  On Linux/Unix I would use "conserver", but "tip"
> will do in a pinch), and watch the console messages that way.
>
> Of course, getting the serial ports wired correctly is a bit of an
> art (you may need a "null modem" cable, for example);  And there are
> some boot-time flags you enter via grub to tell whatever kernel you're
> booting to temporarily use a "tty" console.  Telling Google something
> like "solaris boot serial console" turns up quite a few references.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marion

Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/