David Brodbeck <bro...@uw.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Mike Gerdts <mger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The dmesg command can be run
>> from a more capable terminal than the console - such as from a GUI
>> login session or remotely through ssh.
>
> If you need to use the text console and don't have another machine
> handy, the "screen" utility can also be quite useful.  It offers
> multiple virtual terminals, scrollback, and cut-and-paste
> capabilities.  The commands take a little effort to learn (they're not
> terribly intuitive) but this gives you most of the functionality of
> the multiple text consoles you'd find on FreeBSD or Linux.  Screen
> also lets you detach from a session and reattach to it later from
> another terminal, which can be very useful sometimes.

Yes, I know and use screen often.  Not a superuser by any means but
I'm familiar with it.

The trouble is messages like those I referred too pop up as soon as
you longin (in console (text) mode).

Is it possible to make `screen' your login shell?  I've never looked
into that, but I've never heard of anyone doing it either.