Mike Gerdts <mger...@gmail.com> writes:

> In which case you can edit the kernel line in grub to add a -k option
> to the boot options.  If the system panics, you will be dropped to a
> kmdb prompt.  You can manually enter kmdb with F1-A or shift-break
> from a text console.  You can use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to shift to the text
> console if you aren't there already.  Once at the kmdb prompt, you can
> use ::msgbuf to see the things that have scrolled off the screen.  You
> should get the output a page at a time.  If you need to provide this

Thanks,, very helpful info there

  I'm a bit confused though.... is all of this dependent on having the
  system panic, or do you mean you can enter kmbd from a text console
  any time?

  For example, if I were to edit /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst at this
  line:

  kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS # console=graphics

 by adding `-k' before the octothorpe above.

 On reboot, and from a text console I could enter kmbd as you
 describe?

Oh, and by the way, what is `shift-break'... is it on a standard us
qwerty keyboard?   Maybe the `pause' key?