Claus Assmann
<opensolaris+disc...@esmtp.org> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> ASUS M4A88TD-M /USB3,AMD 880G, Onboard Video
>
> That's basically the same what I use.
> ASUS M4A88TD-M, DDR3 RAM, 1333, ECC (KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G)

Ahh great... good to hear from someone who speaks from experience.  So
at least we know ECC is available for that board.  Still not sure how
to get the builders to use that but I suspect I'll have to track them
down and get an oral promise.

But anyway there turns out to be a drawback with that one too, in that
it's kind of weak in the expansion slots:

  1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
  2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
  1 x PCI

But I found another one on this builders list that appears to have ECC
and better expansion slots:

Unless Ian C. is right about ECC, then this board has the same
notation as the other one:
 "4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,
 Un-buffered Memory"

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO,890GX

 http://magicmicro.com/debay.asp?iid=3525

And it has a better expansion setup:

  2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 support ATI CrossFireX™
           technology(@dual x8 speed)
  1 x PCIe 2.0 x4
  1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
  2 x PCI

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Claus Wrote:

> It works pretty well except for the onboard graphics -- see
> the mailing list for my questions about it.

I wondered about that onboard video...
Which mailing list.... do you mean, an asus list?

> PS: Wikipedia is usually pretty good at explaining stuff like ECC
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_RAM

You are right there, I was a lazy slug but really just had a mental
senior moment I guess because when I googled it, one of the first
things that caught my eye turned out to be what seems really excellent
for some one with my lack of knowledge:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/RAM.htm

(in case another dimwit is following this)

PS - Is this the same Claus who over the years has answered many of my
sendmail questions too?