On 2/20/2011 6:09 PM, Ian Collins wrote:
 On 02/21/11 02:43 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Claus Assmann
<opensolaris+disc...@esmtp.org>  writes:

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011, Harry Putnam wrote:

ASUS M4A88TD-M /USB3,AMD 880G, Onboard Video
That's basically the same what I use.
ASUS M4A88TD-M, DDR3 RAM, 1333, ECC (KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G)
Ahh great... good to hear from someone who speaks from experience.  So
at least we know ECC is available for that board.  Still not sure how
to get the builders to use that but I suspect I'll have to track them
down and get an oral promise.

But anyway there turns out to be a drawback with that one too, in that
it's kind of weak in the expansion slots:

   1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
   2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
   1 x PCI

But I found another one on this builders list that appears to have ECC
and better expansion slots:

Unless Ian C. is right about ECC, then this board has the same
notation as the other one:

All I said was if they don't say ECC is supported, it isn't! In this case, they do.

Actually, most sites lie to you about ECC support for socket AM3 motherboards.

You need to look at the Manufacturer's site, and get the manual for the actual motherboard model.

ALL Athlon/Phenom CPUs support ECC RAM (it's a function of the memory controller built into the CPU), and unless the motherboard manufacturer does something really, really stupid, the motherboard will to. In fact, the MB manufacturer has to go out of their way to break ECC support - it's cheaper just to leave things be, and support ECC, than it is to NOT support ECC on an AM3 motherboard.

The catch here is that they support BOTH ECC and non-ECC RAM, so most sites see the "supports non-ECC" and assume it doesn't also support ECC (Intel still has an either/or requirement, while AMD can do both).

For Socket AM3 motherboards, you want unbuffered, non-registered ECC.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support