> From: Jeffrey Altman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> jaltman> Correct.  But none of this is needed in this case.  If the function
> jaltman> GetCursorInfo() (for example) is not supported on NT4, then the
> jaltman> attempt to load its function pointer with
> jaltman>
> jaltman>   cursor = (GETCURSORINFO) GetProcAddress(user,"GetCursorInfo");
> jaltman>
> jaltman> will fail.  This is the only type of runtime check that is needed.
> jaltman> It doesn't matter if the OS is Win95, NT4, or even Win2000 if the
> jaltman> function pointer cannot be loaded.
>
> Hmm, let me get this straight: from what I understand of this
> conversation, tlhelp32.h is needed only to declare things for the heap
> walking code.  Is there a way to still be able to do the heap walking
> without having to include tlhelp32.h?  If that's a possibility, it
> seems to me that would solve all the problems we have right now.

It is only possible if you are willing to include the data structures
for the heap walking functions in rand_win.c  Personally, I don't see
the point.  Doing this for the GetCursorInfo() stuff makes sense
because it is compiled within the Microsoft headers in a conditional
manner that warns it will break backward compatibility.  But in the
case of mwing32 the problem is the authors of mwing32 have chosen not
to include a header file because they don't think it is applicable to
the NT/2000 platform.  I am very sure this will be fixed in their
next release if someone sends in a report.  (I believe that should be
the user of mwing32.)

FYI, GetCursorInfo() is available on NT4 starting with SP5.

                  Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
               612 West 115th St * New York, NY * 10025 * USA
     http://www.kermit-project.org/ * [EMAIL PROTECTED]