But then they are 'competing' against the main BSD source - if that
source is continued to be maintained, that is.

For example Apple forked Darwin off of FreeBSD 3.2 and mixed in Next
code.  Well, today FreeBSD 6.X is much more advanced than Darwin is,
so because Apple elected not to stay synced with FreeBSD, they have
lost out on all the improvements since 3.2  I would say that given
a choice, FBSD 6.1 wins hands down against MacOS X.

(if you have ever tried building any of the major OSS packages under
MacOS X you will quickly agree!)

Ted