Can you test if './Configure mingw' followed by 'make CC=i586-mingw32msvc-gcc RANLIB=i586-mingw32msvc-ranlib' works? I mean
It seems to work. Although when I start make test on real win32 system

Oh, it was with our modified Configure. When I've restarted build with
unmodified 0.9.9 source tree, I got problem with line 933 of Configure
script:

$IsMK1MF=1 if ($target eq "mingw" && $^O ne "cygwin" && !is_msys());

Of course it doesn't recongnize that it should not set IsMK1MF to 1 when
doing Linux-hosted build.

Same problem occurs when doing build with Cygwin compiler, but
non-cygwin (i.e. ActiveState) Perl. And we use this setup on our win32
test machine, so this line was patched in Configure script too.

We have replaced this line in our patched Configure with

my @MK1MF_Builds=qw(VC-WIN64I VC-WIN64A
            VC-NT VC-CE VC-WIN32
                          BC-32 OS2-EMX netware-clib netware-libc
                        netware-libc-bsdsock);

sMK1MF=scalar grep /^$target$/,@MK1MF_Builds;

It is not perfect to, because it assumes that if one uses mingw32
target, there is always some Unix emulation environment (i.e. cygwin,
msys or real Unix in case of cross-builds).

As implied earlier I'd actually prefer this, i.e. mingw build to *require* Unix emulation environment. Is it really unreasonable? In other words I'd simply scrap "$IsMK1MF=1 if ($target eq "mingw" && $^O ne "cygwin" && !is_msys());" line for good. A.