On 2006.10.20 at 13:01:01 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > So, use IPV6 on native windows requires considerable changes anyway?
>
> I wouldn't say it's considerable.  Just a tweak to the loading of
> getaddrinfo/freeaddrinfo in crypto/bio/b_sock.c, AFAICS.

Implementing of dynamic loading by hand is tricky thing anyway.
One have to declare function pointers and provide code which would fill
them with correct value.  And this code should be clever enough to find
appropriate DLL (provided that most Windows systems out there have
both).

This code should be somehow called.

And since we have to include ws2tcpip.h anyway for structure
definitions, we should provide way to avoid name clash between our
pointers and functions, declared in that file.

After examining few test Win2000 systems around there, I'we found that
they all have ws2_32.dll. It was included in some ServicePack.
Moreover, mingw runtime includes libws2_32.a (equivalent of MS
ws2_32.lib), and not libwship6.a. So it seems that it is relatively
harmless to link with -lws2_32. May be that for NT4 and 9x it would be
required to make separate binary distribution with IPV6 disabled.
But I don't think that it is worth effort to find out whether IPV6 is
available at runtime.