Dear Steve,
I am pleased you found something useful in my comments.

Just to mention :
Yes I suggest something like you said "...three major divisions: reference, programming, and
didactic.".
I would just add : "programming/...using", I am thinking about the command line tools... although, as they can be called in bash scripts, they can be seen also as a kind of "system lib".

Ok, I will do my best to help. I already contributed a little to WCE porting,
I will be pleased to contribute on the command line part of the doc set.

Following your suggestion I suggest something like this :

At the top of the organization, 3 chapters :
- didactic on cryptography and the interest of openssl
- the LIB(s) : then reference, and programmer's manual (a set of howto, use cases...) - the command line tools : then reference, and "usage manual" (eg to produce certs & manage them (check validity, renew, revoke, import/export...), sample scripts )

***
Something else : I also suggest that some expert, when dealing with answers to the users list, decide either to answer to the list as usual or to answer via the wiki by opening another topic or updating an existing one.
Just to avoid that useful info be lost in the depth of the mails...

In fact I think that, today, we are all using the mails archives as a wiki... but it lacks organization as you said, and at a time, the info is lost because it is not so simple to take many mails together to understand clearly a pb and its solution.

With the wiki, I think that info will never get lost.

Yours sincerely,
Pierre