I've just had a go at building OpenSSL 0.9.5a on our Digital Unix box, but
the build fails, apparently with a bizarre parameter error in a linker call,
thus :
===================< cut >====================
cc -DMONOLITH -I../include -DNO_IDEA -fPIC -std1 -tune host -O4
-readonly_string
s -c smime.c
cc -DMONOLITH -I../include -DNO_IDEA -fPIC -std1 -tune host -O4
-readonly_string
s -c rand.c
cc -DMONOLITH -I../include -DNO_IDEA -fPIC -std1 -tune host -O4
-readonly_string
s -c openssl.c
rm -f openssl
cc -o openssl -DMONOLITH -I../include -DNO_IDEA -fPIC -std1 -tune host -O4
-read
only_strings openssl.o verify.o asn1pars.o req.o dgst.o dh.o dhparam.o enc.o
pas
swd.o gendh.o errstr.o  ca.o pkcs7.o crl2p7.o crl.o  rsa.o dsa.o dsaparam.o
x50
9.o genrsa.o gendsa.o s_server.o s_client.o speed.o  s_time.o apps.o s_cb.o
s_so
cket.o app_rand.o version.o sess_id.o  ciphers.o nseq.o pkcs12.o pkcs8.o
spkac.o
 smime.o rand.o -L. -L.. -L../.. -L../../.. -L.. -lssl -L.. -lcrypto
ld:
Badly formed hex number: -std1
ld: Usage: ld [options] file [...]
*** Exit 1
Stop.
*** Exit 1
Stop.
reported problem with Digital Unix that I can find.   Configure appeared to
work OK, except for reporting that it couldn't set up for threads (which is
OK by me).   I'm building for use with Apache/MOD_SSL, so I configured with
      sh config no-idea -fPIC

The box is Digital Unix 4.0D with Patch Kit 5, on an AXP 4270 (dual CPU).
I'm using DEC's C compiler (the standard one - not the "better" one you can
download from their website).

I'll be grateful if anybody has any ideas here ...

[ PS: I noted previous issues with D/Unix 4.0x in the archive which resulted
in advice to avoid the assembler routines on this platform; is that still
the right advice ?   If so, do I achieve this using "./config no-asm" ? ]

Thanks