agray wrote:

> >2 or 3
>
> your time of course ;-)
>
> > And in any case, I personally wouldn't trust a shared OpenSL library
> > just yet.  There are just too many things that are about to change...
>
> i've seen - i'm playing hell on keeping up on what's going on.  You and
> Geoff on the engine work as well as Steve starting on the asn - he's
> doing much more of the interim step, while i changed focus, dropped
> snacc as a compiler and am writing a template driven engine to handle it
> much as what eric was talking about in frankfurt.  Unfortunately It's a
> MAJOR rewrite and couldn't incorporate without a major version (OpenSSL
> 2.0.0 maybe more like 200.0.0)  I figure if he's doing 20k for ssl-c i
> should be able to knock off 30 ;-).  I do really like the design steve's
> focusing on right now though with the c2i, i2c implementations -
> skipping the headers on IMPLICIT decodes and go straight to the content
> is a good idea.  One "Evil hack" down the drain.  So who's gonna rework
> the evp stuff ;-)

Well FYI the i2c, c2i stuff is only the 'visible' part of something
going on behind the scenes. By themselves they cut down on things like
the duplication in INTEGER and ENUMERATED but they are needed by some
experimental ASN1 template driven stuff I'm working on.

Its all very incomplete and buggy as hell but its progressing. I've got
the encoder going and it now can do almost anything the current OpenSSL
ASN1 can do, and quite a few things it cannot like APPLICATION and
PRIVATE tags. It also retains 100% compatibility with the current ASN1
structures behaviour e.g. STACKs for SEQUENCE OF and similar stuff.

The decoder is much harder to do but its starting to take shape.

I intend to ultimately use SNACC as a compiler but using its template
output as the input to a converter to OpenSSL template format.

When its settled down and tested a bit it'll be checked in... however
its going to take a while to tame this, this is one *seriously* horrible
area to work in.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/