Richard Levitte wrote :

> nick.boyce> But what I don't understand is why you're talking about a
> nick.boyce> problem with "-fPIC" when my compilation objected to
> nick.boyce> "-std1" ...
>
> Ah.  Well, I'll do some qualified guesses: suppose that the command
> line parser in ld is the stupid kind that checks if argv[i][0] is '-'
> and then just does a switch(argv[i][1]) to process each possible switch,
> and that for any switch value it will take argv[i+1].  So, it finds
> your -fPIC, thinks it found -f and tries to use the next argument as
> fill.  That happens to be "-std1" which is very far from a hex value,
> so it complains...

Words fail me ... and this is a commercial big-bucks Unix ...
Thanks for the analysis.

Erm ... I need to find a way forward on this.  Should I submit a bug to
Compaq against Digital Unix's linker, or submit a bug against OpenSSL to ask
for a workaround to be built in for Digital Unix platforms ?

And anyway, if Digital Unix won't support "PIC" (whatever it is) should I
give up on building OpenSSL/MOD_SSL/Apache with DSO modules ?
(Is this the wrong list to ask that question on ?)
I suppose maybe it's just MOD_SSL that can't be shared.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
Systems Team, EDS Healthcare, Bristol, UK