Boyce, Nick wrote:

> Richard Levitte wrote :
>
> > nick.boyce> But what I don't understand is why you're talking about a
> > nick.boyce> problem with "-fPIC" when my compilation objected to
> > nick.boyce> "-std1" ...
> >
> > Ah.  Well, I'll do some qualified guesses: suppose that the command
> > line parser in ld is the stupid kind that checks if argv[i][0] is '-'
> > and then just does a switch(argv[i][1]) to process each possible switch,
> > and that for any switch value it will take argv[i+1].  So, it finds
> > your -fPIC, thinks it found -f and tries to use the next argument as
> > fill.  That happens to be "-std1" which is very far from a hex value,
> > so it complains...

Richard's spot on here. (he usually is, btw)  Always remember anything
originating from, named like, "OSF" (my ex-employer) will have
"anomolies". (DigUnix=OSF/1)

skip -fPIC or -f*** it's not there.

> Erm ... I need to find a way forward on this.  Should I submit a bug to
> Compaq against Digital Unix's linker, or submit a bug against OpenSSL to ask
> for a workaround to be built in for Digital Unix platforms ?

openssl.  might want to test with the ld flags below as well.

> And anyway, if Digital Unix won't support "PIC" (whatever it is) should I
> give up on building OpenSSL/MOD_SSL/Apache with DSO modules ?
> (Is this the wrong list to ask that question on ?)

some thoughts and an outcome should be put onto dev, but knowing Richard
he'll have this done and cvs committed by 2 or 3 in the morning ;-)

> I suppose maybe it's just MOD_SSL that can't be shared.

no no no no no.  Never give up on a challenge - especially when your
employer is paying for it.

DigUnix can most certainly build shared libraries - it's just that the
model is well, sorta different.  Check in an old OSF/1 programmer's
manual (if u can find one) to see how the global address table (most
call it a global offset table - except as i said we were different)
works with their linker.

standard flags for cc - except drop -fPIC
check and try  " -shared " and " -expect_unresolved "*"  " for ld flags
 (lookup -expect_unresolved "*" for exact syntax) my OSF/1 manual's at
the office ;-)

Andrew
--
Once an OSF'r always .......