> From: "Gisle Vanem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:45:38 +0200
>
> "Ken Goldman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Note that both the makefile and nmake.exe are MS proprietary.  You
> > can't use standard makefiles with nmake, and you can't use the MS
> > makefiles with a standard make.exe like gnu make.
>
> But you can use a GNU makefile with MS tools like cl.exe. There is
> a program (or script?) that translates a gcc cmd-line to a cl cmd-line,
> so a GNU makefile should work with little or no changes.
>
> The name and location of this package escapes we now, but the OP
> could try Googling for it.

Agree, but is it worth the trouble?

1 - VC++ can output a makefile compatible with nmake.  It's fast.

2 - If the maintainers like the GUI better than the command line,
you're not forcing a decision on them.

> BTW. why do you call it "standard makefiles"? GNU make is
> probably the most proprietary and incompatible make program ever
> made. MS' nmake at least has many extensions in common with
> Borland, Digital Mars and Watcom's makes.

Agree.  It's standard only in the sense of "widely used across
many platforms and OS'es", not as in ANSI, ISO.

--
Ken Goldman   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   914-784-7646