Dirk,

Am 04.02.2016 um 23:45 schrieb Dirk Müller:
>> Actually I think it is unfair of users to expect that SUSE engineers
>> must be the ones to fix things if random boards break
>
> I don't think anyone was calling for a "suse engineer". Users were
> asking for the openSUSE ARM contributors to take a look at the
> regression. I don't think anyone excluded "non-SUSE" people from
> looking at the problem and fixing it. [...]

The people that took action here - myself, Alex, Andreas - all are, and
we're less than the users asking. If everyone non-SUSE waits for someone
else instead of pushing up their sleeves then there's no progress,
that's all I was saying.

>> At FOSDEM Michal and a visitor indicated the latest downstream kernel
>> for the Raspberry Pi 2 were 4.1 based, whereas we have a 3.14 based
>> kernel
>
> Thanks for pointing out a completely irrelevant detail, my completely
> irrelevant correction follows: We have an image with 3.18
> (Contrib:RaspberryPi2, working) and 4.1 (Contrib:RaspberryPi2:Staging,
> not working yet) kernel.

Let's be fully correct then: It's 3.18.14!

>> - one that apparently no one remembers how it was created
>
> Maybe the person who created the kernel, who is listed as maintainer,
> and who has a git repo which accepts PRs knows how though.

Then why weren't you answering when people asked about it.
I'm not the one you need to tell, I don't really care.

It could be documented a) in the spec file, b) in the package or project
description. And some README.txt file in the repository might be a
useful feature for people accessing it directly from the Wiki etc.

> The kernel was not the problem of the image.

The problem is a) people _call_ it an openSUSE image despite not having
an openSUSE kernel, and b) users keep comparing openSUSE to Raspbian and
blaming openSUSE for the Raspberry Pi Foundation and Broadcom not
working with the kernel community properly. If graphics are slow in the
mainline kernel then that's not our fault and people should contribute
to improving that there; otherwise doing a KMP against our kernel for
that driver specifically would be better than offering a whole
alternative kernel for laziness.

Whenever there's two (or more) download locations we can be sure that
someone will choose the wrong one, therefore we need to limit choices.

The Contribs had packages violating OBS rules wrt binary userspace
programs, misusing SUSE-Firmware license, failing for a long time,
adding non-essential contrib packages to the official JeOS, ... do I
need to go on?

I don't understand why we still have Contrib:RaspberryPi. I would've
deleted it when the download location discussion came up again had not
Guillaume recently updated raspberrypi-userland.

>> Mainly the convenience stuff around Kiwi images, that I am not an expert
>> on, "constantly" breaks in one way or another.
>
> Right, which is not a problem per se, because we're all humans and we
> make mistakes. Common practices like peer reviewing changes or
> respecting maintainership definitions can help though.

Then you could start with giving me a chance to review kernel config
changes and not changing them behind my back and, without asking me
first, dropping options that I invested time to make consistent!

No notifications are being sent when -rc1 has been checked in (last time
I checked it was upstream but not in master) or when someone pushes changes.

Sometimes SRs are ignored for weeks, then someone submits and accepts
their own and tells everyone else to rebase them despite seeing no issue
with them. Review and times we work on things never are in sync. Other
times SRs get accepted quicker than I can re-review my own diff.

Also we will never get u-boot or dtb-source updated in Factory if we
keep superseding each other's SRs rather than waiting while an in-flight
one goes through Staging and Factory review.
Missing links is a recurring pain point that some of us maintainers
can't remedy ourselves.

And may I remind you that there is no devel project set for JeOS. Not
that it would help with the armv7l build power problems with existing
images not getting rebuilt within two weeks.

Part of the official OBS workflow is also using Submit Requests and not
committing to Contrib projects directly, which then leaves me and other
people without change notifications. Please Don't Do That.

Yes, a lot of things can be done to improve the situation.
Some others are limited by our build power unfortunately.
Yet others could use some better support on the osc (branch) side.

>> None of us on this list updated/broke systemd however, so that left us
>> with no one responsible reading the armv6l complaints here.
>
> I don't see many people complaining at all. I do see a group of people
> caring enough to report issues though, and I'm personally very happy
> to see that they care about something that I care about as well.

There's been at least a handful of people complaining about Raspberry Pi
images specifically, I can't help you if you didn't see that.
Including a cascade of self-replies by one such user that the image was
still not working - obviously if no one works on it it would be
surprising if it suddenly worked again.
Including someone setting deadlines until when he needs a working image.

Now if you want to blame me for some of the causes, say it clearly.

* Had people not piled up packages in Contrib:RaspberryPi I wouldn't
have needed to spend time cleaning them up (raspberrypi-firmware,pihwm).
=> Give less people maintainer access, reject optional packages and let
them go through the usual review processes outside the ARM team.
* Same if someone had been thinking earlier about updating a running
system rather than piling up stuff in the JeOS image initialization only
(raspberrypi-firmware-branding-openSUSE, /boot/vc).
=> Put BeagleBoard alsa config into alsa (Takashi can help get that
upstream if needed), create individual *-branding-openSUSE packages for
dracut configs. May involve splitting configs by boot media.
* Would Kiwi simply put any files installed to /boot in one partition,
we wouldn't need to patch Kiwi again and again (/dtb-*, /boot/vc).
* Would we have Staging Rings for ARM then dtb-source and u-boot changes
would not arrive via Factory accept without being tested against JeOS.
Limited by build power and patience.
* Would JeOS actually have build-time checks and fail when files are not
in the expected location, some breakages would've been easier to spot
(/boot/vc).
* Would we stage dtb-source from Kernel:linux-next through Kernel:HEAD
to Base:System we could test some additions much earlier (dtb-meson8b).
Downside is such branches would silently break whenever someone changes
Base:System. Similar merge problems exist for Contrib JeOS branches.
* Would we have an archive of known working Tumbleweed images then
temporary image breakages wouldn't be as severe.

Regards,
Andreas

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)