Op zaterdag 24 november 2018 19:43:24 CET schreef Alexander Graf:
> On 24.11.18 17:57, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
> > Op vrijdag 19 oktober 2018 09:52:32 CET schreef Alexander Graf:
> >> Hi Freek,

> >> Where did you find that image? Who created it?
> >>
> >> The Banana Pi M64 seems to be A64 based, so I'm fairly sure from a
> >> kernel enablement point of view, we're in good shape. The only thing you
> >> might be missing would be the low level firmware bits.
> >
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > continued my research and found
> > https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-Mainline-kernel . I did a git clone
> > to get the content in folder BPI-Mainline-kernel. I installed the
> > required packages mentioned in ./linux-4.19/Documentation/
> > process/changes.rst. However "oprofiled --version" is mentioned to check
> > the version of the packet oprofile, but that did not work. The command
> > should be "opreport --version".
> > After that I ran "./build_kernel_64.sh" in folder BPI-Mainline-kernel,
> > which succeeded. I got a lot of generated files in
> > ./linux-4.19/output/bpi-64/ among other a vmlinux, which seems to be the
> > new kernel. Also a lot of drivers and modules have been generated.
> > I also downloaded the source of kernel 4.19.4 as a tar.xz, unpacked it in
> > folder linux-4.19-4 in BPI-Mainline-kernel and adapted build_kernel_64.sh
> > to enter linux-4.19.4. I also needed to copy a few file from linux-4.19
> > to linux-4.19.4, build_64.sh and linux-4.19/arch/arm64/bpi_64_defconfig.
> > After that I succeeded in building the kernel 4.19.4.
> >
> > So far what I did. Now the experiment to make the kernel run. If you have
> > any suggestions, please let me know.
>
> I don't think you need any downstream patches for the kernel. Everything
> in that tree only adds a few changes for the m2u/m2b boards which you
> don't have. 4.19 from Tumbleweed should already have everything required
> to run on that system.

I did not have any idea what is needed. I just found this website and tried
what it talked about, just trying to see if it also works for a newer kernel
from its original source. I used cross compiling on my x86_64 system with
Tumbleweed to get the kernel for the aarch64 system. In the generated files I
do find similar file names which are present on /dev/mmcblk0p1, but not all.

> So all you need is firmware that adheres to EBBR and you're all set with
> a Tumbleweed JeOS.

I am very fresh in this area. So I have no idea what EBBR means and how to
build things for a JeOS system. I found in the original openSUSE image for the
Banana Pi M64 on /dev/mmcblk0p1 a folder dtb/allwinner/ containing o.a. a file
sun50i-a64-bananapi-m64.dtb which seems to be needed. Is this the one you are
referring to? There is also a folder overlay which has files *.dtbo with names
similar to the above.
I did not find a folder dtb in the folder with the linux source, also not
after the generation. However there is a folder dts as a subfolder of output,
so generated, in which I found a file named like above, sun50i-a64-bananapi-
m64.dtb.

> Did anyone create a working (recent) image that works from eMMC? If so,
> it probably boots using U-Boot? In that case, you should be able to just
> abort the boot, modify the "boot_targets" variable to point to MMC boot
> instead and run "boot" to boot into a Tumbleweed image on an SD card.

Yes there is a debian system that can be started from the microSD card and
that allows populating eMMC. However the openSUSE system does not show the
eMMC device. After populating eMMC with that debian system, the system will
start from eMMC, however after that the microSD is no longer visible, as far
as I recall.
However what you suggest above is most likely beyond my capabilities to figure
out without some detailed instructions.
Maybe it gives some clue to you when I show the content of /dev/mmcblk0p1:
bpim64tum:~ # ls -l /mnt
total 24692
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root       80 aug 29  2017 armbianEnv.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     1557 aug 29  2017 armbian_first_run.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    38518 aug 29  2017 boot.bmp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     2989 aug 29  2017 boot.cmd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     4882 aug 29  2017 boot-desktop.png
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     3061 aug 29  2017 boot.scr
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   137688 aug 29  2017 config-4.13.0-rc6-sun50iw1
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 aug 29  2017 dtb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12288008 aug 29  2017 Image
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4990985 aug 29  2017 initrd.img-4.13.0-rc6-sun50iw1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root        0 aug 29  2017 .next
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2794420 aug 29  2017 System.map-4.13.0-rc6-sun50iw1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  4991049 aug 29  2017 uInitrd
bpim64tum:~ #
The file boot.cmd mentions U-boot
At the end of that file are two lines showing:
# Recompile with:
# mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

--
fr.gr.

member openSUSE
Freek de Kruijf