Andreas Jaeger wrote:

I don't think we can ever end the discussion.  I want to get some
first comments back for our future development - and we'll keep on
asking until the bugs are fixed and you can really use it...

If I judge from your previous posts, the main part of the debugging is already done and will be commited in a matter of days?

but if you want, we can forget the actual 10.1 tests and look only at what we need as a package manager...

Based, however, on what we know exists, I think that we need a monolithic package manager.

monolithic, this is a "software management" module, replacement for "software management", "YOU", "add on products"... most of what is in the software menu of yast, because all these modules speaks of the same things.

we need a module that starts immediately (no refresh at this moment).

we _don't need_ (from a user point of view, of course) to know what is used (end of the yast/zen/rug...whatever discussion)

As I see the point we have to add new software on the local catalog only when we add a new inst-source. At this point, and at this point only we should have the choice of refreshing the catalog. This catalog should know basically the software name, not the version of the software, so this part should be quite static.

I think that in most situations the version info can be retrieved lately, in the background. In most cases, peoples needs only the current version.

we need some kind of repository management. It's possible to have the same package on different repositories and we may need to use an older package for whatever reason. This is an exception from the previous stated system (ignoring the version), seldom used and so in cases we can afford to wait a little...

We should have the option to store locally the packages already installed, or the packages _not_ installed, or both (or none), to make of then a cd/dvd set, for example as backup

we should have the option to backup all what can't be installe with the package backup.

That mean, in case of Hard drive failure, we reinstall with the package backup to have a fresh install, then restore the data backup to have a system similar to the previous one

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net