Marcel Hilzinger schrieb:
> Not calling it YaST2 does not mean (hopefully), that there is no full
> featured
> package manager.

To work within the installation system, it has to be integrated with the
rest of YaST in the same way the current sw_single is.

Actually I don't really get the point here. Can I imagine the proposal
as a rewrite of the YaST software installer? Why should such a rewrite
be faster and lighter than the current sw_single? I doubt that it will
be, if it uses the YaST framework, but it has to use the YaST framework
at least for the installation system.

> To make it simple and fast. It does not have to be new. But it has to be good
> and fast. Yast is fat, not fast ;-)

Yes, there are indeed lighter package managers than YaST's one, but they
don't provide the same level of integration with the non-package
management configuration utility of SUSE Linux, which is YaST.

I propose to leave the implementation of lighter alternative package
managers without YaST integration up to third parties. There are some
upcoming ones. There is already a consensus that the package management
stack of SUSE Linux needs a performance facelift, this will of course
include YaST.

> This means, that yast on console is additional work.

Maybe, but this one is really worth the effort IMHO. Just imagine a user
trashing the GUI of his system by installing bad supplementary RPMs.

Downgrading all packages to the version on the CDs is so easy with
sw_single in a console and so painful with a real command-line utility,
especially for people with little to no knowledge of how it all works.
Having a curses-based software installer is a real plus IMHO.

And of course the same point with the installation system applies here
as well: A curses based package manager is needed to install SUSE Linux
on systems where the hardware doesn't allow YaST to run in GUI mode. ;)
Therefore it needs to be maintained anyway.

> Did you use apt or smart? I never used yast on command line any more, when I
> got used to them.

Yes, I'm using smart every day, but I never use it in situations where a
manual intervention is needed:

- A dependency that is provided by multiple packages needs to be
installed, let's say, one of multiple SQL plugins for Qt (smart is just
"too smart" here and doesn't even ask which one the user wants to have)

- A repository is broken, let's say, a necessary package doesn't build
in supplementary, and the user prefers to fix it himself instead of
letting an algorithm decide what to keep and what to remove (even the
smartest algorithm can only try to guess, sometimes it will match the
user's preference and sometimes it won't)

A non-smart solution needs to be provided for such cases. sw_single is
the perfectly non-smart solution, and it already exists, so please keep
it. With Qt and curses frontends, of course.

> So I see no need for yast package manager in console mode.

I couldn't disagree more. Killing that one would be a nightmare IMHO.

Andreas Hanke