On 30 May 2006 at 18:13, houghi wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 05:53:18PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> > >That does not mean that Linux can not work with a capital U.
> >
> > how does mime-types works?
>
> It 'should' be done with `file`:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] : file suse.mp3
> suse.mp3: MPEG ADTS, layer III, v2,  32 kBits, 22.05 kHz, Monaural
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] : mv suse.mp3 suse.txt
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] : file suse.txt
> suse.txt: MPEG ADTS, layer III, v2,  32 kBits, 22.05 kHz, Monaural
>
> Unfortunatly most will ignore that (including me) and look at the
> extention instead. Not a real good idea, I think.

OTOH, Microsoft Windows (Outlook?) does that as well: If the file has any
previewable suffix, the preview module corresponding to the "file magic word"
(not
the suffix) is called for "preview". Virus writers know that quite well.

Would you like your ".jpeg" to be executed as Perl Program? Despite of that,
"file" can be wrong!

Regards,
Ulrich