We could define the functionality "text editor" as a requirement, fulfilled
by any of the mentioned packages. So you can't have a minimal system without
an editor but you're still free to choose your own.

That would great and would probably make everyone "happy"

It could even be extended to other packages if needed. I remember
seeing something "similar" in debian when I tried it, they call it the
virtual packages (from the debian web site: when there are several
packages which offer more-or-less the same functionality a virtual
package is defined whose name describes that common functionality.
These virtual packages only exist logically, not physically. The
packages with this particular function will then provide the virtual
package. Thus, any other package requiring that function can simply
depend on the virtual package without having to specify all possible
packages individually).

Regards,

Gaël