El Miércoles, 26 de Septiembre de 2007 10:36:27 Stanislav Visnovsky escribió:

> > In 10,3 zypper is so good that we will only need apt/smart in few
> > occasions, and probably in 11.0 we will be able to forget them
> > definitively
> >
> > :-)
>
> In which occasions?

occasion 1)
===========

We need to download -only download- a list of packages and keep it for any
posterior use, for example:

- download updates every night to update our local update server
- make a dvd update for pc's with no internet acces (great!)

To do so, first, I get a list with all necessary rpm's in every box I
maintain:

        rpm -qa --queryformat "%{name} \n" | grep -v gpg-pubkey | sort >
pc_01.list

with those lists, every night my server's cron downloads all updates that
afect me:

        apt-get update
        apt-get reinstall -dy $(cat pc_01.list pc_02.list ... pc_NN.list)

and it updates my local repo too:

        rm /srv/ftp/repo/RPMS.last/*
        cp /var/cache/apt/*.rpm /srv/ftp/repo/RPMS.last
        genbasedir /srv/ftp/repo/

When I need, I can:

- Test new updates in a vmware machine "without wait for download" (*)
- Apply it fastly (*) to my 5 local pc's, if everthing is ok.
- I can burn a dvd to update my home's pc, where I have no internet conetion.
- Perform fastly a new updated fresh install
- Retain versions of packages to prevent broken updrades.

(*) 11Mb/s instead 106Kb/s means about 100 times faster.

Regards.
Miquel.