On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Stephan Kulow wrote:-

<snip>

>I didn't get a reply till I looked at the dialog you're seeing. So here we
>are - any better suggestions? ;-)

I actually like the look of the new "System Type and Software Selection"
screen[0] with the different types in the single list. What would be
nice is for the package selection to honour choices made on this screen.
E.g. someone leaving "Play games" unchecked is likely to expect there to
be no games, the same with multimedia and graphics. Leaving these
unchecked shouldn't install packages within those groups, unless they
are required by other packages. It would also be nice if not enabling
the "Open and modify documents from my mother" would remove the Office
patterns.

At present, the new usage boxes don't appear to actually do anything. Or
deselecting them doesn't at the moment. I guess that there's going to
have to be some changes to the patterns again to make them actually do
what the descriptive text says.

>Actually what I want in that dialog is
>
>  [ ] Minimal Installation (the bare minimum)
>  [ ] Server Installation (no desktop)
>  [ ] XFCE Desktop (only necessary applications)
>  [ ] GNOME Desktop (with Browser, Office programs)
>  [ ] KDE Desktop (with Browser, Office programs)

You've either missed out the "Minimal X" or the "Text Mode" selection
from that list.

>I'm just not sure yet about the order :)

I think the way the pop-up was laid out was quite good. The ordering
with the full featured GUI desktops first, then the minimal X, a text
only system, and finally the bare minimum.

[0] Although you probably don't need to see it again, there's an alpha 1
screenshot here:

<URL:http://www.davjam.org/mediawiki/index.php/Image:OpenSUSE-11.0a1-installation-0006.png>

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~15Mkeys
SUSE 10.1 32bit  | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a0