David Bolt napsal(a):
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Stephan Kulow wrote:-
>
> <snip>
>
>> I didn't get a reply till I looked at the dialog you're seeing. So here we
>> are - any better suggestions? ;-)
>
> I actually like the look of the new "System Type and Software Selection"
> screen[0] with the different types in the single list. What would be
> nice is for the package selection to honour choices made on this screen.
> E.g. someone leaving "Play games" unchecked is likely to expect there to
> be no games, the same with multimedia and graphics. Leaving these
> unchecked shouldn't install packages within those groups, unless they
> are required by other packages. It would also be nice if not enabling
> the "Open and modify documents from my mother" would remove the Office
> patterns.

Thanks :)

This dialog has been designed to ease the installation for common users.
In my opinion, many users want to only install the base system with
"some" patterns and then install additional software later.

If you select the "base" or "minimal" system type, then the checkbox
does something, e.g., selects or doesn't select the OpenOffice and friends.

Actually, the software selection is pattern-based and the pattern is
called "office". Of course, the label has been selected to attract your
attention to get some reports and opinions from the community.

> At present, the new usage boxes don't appear to actually do anything. Or
> deselecting them doesn't at the moment. I guess that there's going to
> have to be some changes to the patterns again to make them actually do
> what the descriptive text says.

There is a bug/old behavior in software proposal that doesn't expect
anyone else to select a pattern/package/etc. to be installed/upgraded...

Have a nice day
Lukas