Hi all,

Since I experienced some very poor communication about LibreOffice
recently, I thought it would be good to reach out to this list...

I mean this:

 http://news.opensuse.org/2011/02/26/opensuse-11-4-rc2-steps-out/

It is of course right to point people to the known bugs; but before it
is done publicly, it should be researched if the bugs are still valid at
all - in this case the bug claimed to be present in LibreOffice was
fixed quite some time ago, in a duplicate bug report.

Worse - the form chosen in the article was insulting to all the
developers who spent days (and some nights too) on getting LibreOffice
the best choice for openSUSE.  It is also undermining the efforts of the
LibreOffice marketing team.

I am sure you all know the benefits of the switch to LibreOffice (if
not, I'll be glad to follow-up), so _please_ - make the communication
appropriate:

- openSUSE supports LibreOffice, many of the LibreOffice developers are
  openSUSE members, when you do not communicate properly about
  LibreOffice, you harm openSUSE

- reach to Petr Mladek <pmla...@suse.cz>, the LibreOffice packager for
  openSUSE, whenever you want to have the most recent list of known
  bugs, or when you need to check what is the real status of the
  release, or of a concrete bug.  Should you fail to reach him, try me,
  or Michael Meeks.
  Also Petr's blog [1] is a good source of the relevant info.

- phrases like "not quite ready for the production environment" are very
  sensitive, and should be used only when you know what are you doing
  ['you know what you are doing' usually means 'you have communicated it
  with Petr' ;-)]

- when you need anything about LibreOffice quickly, reach to us in the
  #libreoffice channel on irc.freenode.net, there's always somebody
  awake there ;-)  For the openSUSE-related stuff, search for pmladek,
  mmeeks, kendy, thorsten, or other people with the opensuse/member IRC
  cloak

- and of course, there is also a LibreOffice marketing team too,
  reachable at market...@libreoffice.org

I am sure we can do better the next time - do reach to us, we are eager
to help.

Regards,
Kendy

[1] http://lizards.opensuse.org/author/pmladek/