On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Jan Holesovsky <ke...@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since I experienced some very poor communication about LibreOffice
> recently, I thought it would be good to reach out to this list...
>
> I mean this:
>
>  http://news.opensuse.org/2011/02/26/opensuse-11-4-rc2-steps-out/
>
> It is of course right to point people to the known bugs; but before it
> is done publicly, it should be researched if the bugs are still valid at
> all - in this case the bug claimed to be present in LibreOffice was
> fixed quite some time ago, in a duplicate bug report.
>
> Worse - the form chosen in the article was insulting to all the
> developers who spent days (and some nights too) on getting LibreOffice
> the best choice for openSUSE.  It is also undermining the efforts of the
> LibreOffice marketing team.
>
> I am sure you all know the benefits of the switch to LibreOffice (if
> not, I'll be glad to follow-up), so _please_ - make the communication
> appropriate:
>
> - openSUSE supports LibreOffice, many of the LibreOffice developers are
>  openSUSE members, when you do not communicate properly about
>  LibreOffice, you harm openSUSE
>
> - reach to Petr Mladek <pmla...@suse.cz>, the LibreOffice packager for
>  openSUSE, whenever you want to have the most recent list of known
>  bugs, or when you need to check what is the real status of the
>  release, or of a concrete bug.  Should you fail to reach him, try me,
>  or Michael Meeks.
>  Also Petr's blog [1] is a good source of the relevant info.
>
> - phrases like "not quite ready for the production environment" are very
>  sensitive, and should be used only when you know what are you doing
>  ['you know what you are doing' usually means 'you have communicated it
>  with Petr' ;-)]

+1

It's not a good marketing hype to paraphrase "not quite ready for the
production environment", especially for a product (RC2) that GA will
be launch in a few days. I'm strongly agree with the communication
stuff, means that we may learn from this case for next published
article.

--
Best Regards,

Masim "Vavai" Sugianto