On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:50:44PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> *we need a much simpler left column sidebar.

Perhaps different, but not simpeler.

>  Home (always on top, this one :-)
> Use SUSE Linux
>  Download
>  Documentation (including SDB, FAQ)

Please more then just those two. See my postings about this earlier
Documentation has most of the information. I still hate it that User
Documentation is 3 steps deep hidden away. It should be on the frontpage.
Just like many of the other things in http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation

> Participate
>  Community (including how to participate, communicate,
> projects, team, tasks)
>  Report a bug
> About openSUSE
>  News (including roadmap & events)
>  Project overview
>  Contacts
>  Legal

About openSUSE should be first. The site is called openSUSE.org, so that
should be the most top information
First link to what openSUSE is and is not.

> on the center panel, download be "Download the installable
> demo dvd" and should send directly to the stable release dvd
> mirror.
>
> In fact my choice should be a single _cd_ demo (SLICK?). A
> demo needs to be fast...

Only if it is an official one. SLICK is not official. Try to download it.
It does not work. It is as if SLICK had a nice start and people went on
to do other things. I get a 550 on each link on
http://en.opensuse.org/1_CD_install where SLICK points to.

> bug report should be avoided. SUSE have NO bug isn't it :-)

SUSE might not have it, but openSUSE is about the community. They are the
people that make SUSE and that community needs to know where to go with
the found bugs. It is a main part of the site.

So my idea is:

About openSUSE
 What is openSUSE/FAQ
 Events
 News
 Roadmap

Use SUSE Linux
 First time users
 Downloads
 User documentation (Or rename it to something like Community
                        documentation. The name does not realy tell about
                        the content)
 Product Highlights
 PowerPC Documentation
 Developer Documentation
 Official Novell Documentation (This page can contain all of the Novell
                        links)

Participate
 How to Participate
 Ways of communication
 Reporting a bug
 Projects
 Teams
 Tasks

houghi
und Arbeit,  und das Sein wichtiger als das Tun
                                        - Johannes Müller-Elmau