houghi wrote:
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:59:04PM -0500, Rajko M wrote:
Look at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Browse
is that what you looking for? That is wiki feature.

From there you can go to http://en.opensuse.org/Special:Uncategorizedpages
201 in total. Anybody interested in putting them in at least on catagory?

I do my best, but then when I see something like IRQ_Troubles I'll try to fix it. Than I don't have much time and many things that I see I forget to came back.

BTW, what do you think how I found interesting links :-)

And I agree with both of you that we need:
1- different site design, as houghi pointed out there is too many problems that new user have to face in order to find out how to install openSUSE. That is not near user friendly.

ACK (DUH)

2- smaller install media for stable release + ftp download for the rest, as it is not good at all to confront new user with Alphas, Betas and release candidates that are all, but user friendly. I lost temper with beta 8.

This has nothing to do with the website. You could make a page that
explains the boot.iso, or take it to opensuse-factory.

The web site and the media should be complimentary, so any installation media problem can make web site useless. Look at SLICK or 1_CD install.
Nice ideas that are silently abandoned.

3- need for user feedback is my cry for quite some time, and we need that too. Closing all pages on openSUSE behind login didn't prevented pages like
http://en.opensuse.org/Windows_XP
http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation/Windows_XP

Asked for removal.

That was fast!

or with advices that are call for trouble for most computer users, like
http://en.opensuse.org/Irq_Troubles
to appear.

I don't have enough knowledge, but you can put a warning there. Not each
and every article has to be for every and each user. I can imagine if you
write about making your own kernel that the intended audience is
different.

The problem is advice in article:"Upgrade if you see newer version of BIOS."

Most of todays computers are branded. If you update BIOS you loose serial number written in flash ROM and one well known operating system will refuse to start. SUSE linux novice or his dad will be very displeased to discover that they can't access $500 worth of games, or some useful programs and who is to blame, of course it would be advice found on openSUSE.

In the moment there is to little active people on openSUSE wiki and too much work to do.

There is too weak connection with administrative personnel of the site.

This is understandable, because of the launch of 10.1 coming nearer, yet
it must be addressed. After 10.1, people will be busy with 10.2.

And then with 10.3, 10.4 etc.
You can check how long it will take to delete article that was just clear provocation.

--
Regards,
Rajko.