On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:15:38AM +0200, jdd wrote:
> * 1cd install with kde is probably dead as I beg that each
> new kde will be at least slightly bigger than the other,
>
> * xfce gives a light and comfortable desktop interface,
> largely sufficient for many uses, specially fast install,
> and yet quit similar to kde/windows

I know. SUSE is a Gnome/KDE distribution. Making it into a 1CD XFCE
distribution is above and beyond the duty of the SUSE people, so no help
can be expected from their side (unless they do so in their free time, if
they still have any.)

It would also be confusing for people who first try out the 1CD version,
get used to it, buy a boxed set or download a full version and suddenly
get something different.

> * I think the main point should be a better documentation of
> how to create a suse subset, so anybody could make one himself

Yes and that is what the 1-CD page is about or should be re-written to.

> a reason for wich I did not participate more to the
> SUPRE/SLICK is that I did not see any way to do that :-)
>
> and making specialized suse distros would be a must,
> specially cd/dvd ones.

Doing that is prety simple. The explanation is just a bit more complicated
then first thought, that is why the page should be re-written. The process
is basicilally as follows
1) makeSUSEdvd -i -s /OWN_CD
2) remove and/or add any files and RPM's you desire
3) edit control.xml
4) make a My.sel file or edit one of the existing *.sel files.
5) create_package_descr
6) cleanup and creation of some gz files for size. Can be scipped, I asume
   if there is enough space.
7) make iso and burn

The most difficult step is step 2. Once you know that, adding 3 and 4
should not be too difficult. So what you basically are doing is prepare
everything for create_package_descr.

houghi
und Arbeit,  und das Sein wichtiger als das Tun
                                        - Johannes Müller-Elmau