On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 07:52:14PM +0200, jdd wrote:
> ? I don't see what you mean. sidebar is of fixed height. the
> english one fills more than my 20" screen, and is not at all
> resizable - it's mostly unreadable.

I think it is readable. It needs a lot of work, that is true. Especially
the order might become important. The fact that you might need to scroll
might be an issue on the layout.

> > Due to this, I now have a left to right movement as well.
>
> what do you mean is a "left to right movement"?

A scrollbar at the bottom. Seems to be gone now, Strange

> > The `Page de Garde` links to itself, why?
>
> "Page de garde" is the french for "home page", so on the
> home page it links to itself, as it always did (it's the
> same in english page)

OK. Clear.

> > There are not enough links in the Utiliser part
>
> why? we are not to create links only to take place, there is
> room for one if necessary

Not one, many more. I already have given an example of what I think should
be there.

> > Wich most likely is the cause of the left to right movement I am able to
> > do now.
>
> sorry, I don't understand

It seeems to be gone. I do not know why.

> no. I report french speaking events - for the others, the
> english page is there.

And here I disagree. Why should a French speaking person not be interested
in an event in an other language? Or a German speaking or whatever
language.

> > It should be the goal from the community to be one community, not 650
> > small ones devided by either Language or country. See below.
>
> I have the need to work with two langages - there are people
> not speaking english, we have to cope with this - the
> non-speaking community will lack things as long as automatic
> translation is not trustable (and it is not, I tried).

Not automated, but better organized. You have one central language. To
wich everything will be translated and from wich wich everything will be
translated.
So if a Chinese person adds something on a chines page, we need to have a
system in place that translates it to English, so that others can
translate it from English to e.g. French.

> ? what do you mean? it's exactly what I said

Great. Then there we agree. :-)

> >> Localised wikis are very good for beginners, end user
> >> documentation, tips and tricks,download...
> >
> > Not if parts of it are on one language and others are on another.
>
> complete bi(multi?)-directional translation is not likely to
> be done. It would ask for much more power than we can afford

That is however the only way to keep all languages on the same level.
Otherwise you will have one article that is great in French, another that
is great in German and some pages that have people working on the same
content next to eachother.

> > As a person living in Belgium, these flags are the most stupid invention
> > ever. Flags are countries, langages are not. Will you have a Belgium flag?
> > If so, to what language will it point? If not, why don't you give the
> > Belgians their own flag?
>
> do you speak "belgium"? or "français"? words are the most
> stupid... (same phrase as your)

I do not speak "Belgium" because it is not a language. That is the whole
point of why flags are not a good idea to use on a Wiki that is directed
at languages. I speak some French, but it is only my fourth language.

It is not possible to interchange langages and countries. I live long
enough in Belgium to understand the problem

> I didn't change the layout of the page, only part of the
> content of the sidebar, and did you notice this sidebar
> changes from time to time? without anybody answered?

The pages look different enough to me. The left sidebar has much less
information, there is suddenly a picture in the right sidebar. There is
different information and the information in the middle is bold.
Also there is a different Linuxtag picture.

Even tough the same colours and some basic layout is used, it is clear
that the content is different with some layout changes. For me this
translates as to that there are two different sorts of openSUSE. A fr one
and all the rest.

> > The English version should be a central point of translation. Meaning that
> > when somebody changes something on the "en" pages, oothers should
> > translate it.
>
> do it :-)

I already do that by placing my changes on the "en" page. You would not
want be translating to any language, believe me.

>  When somebody translates something on a "fr" page, this
> > change should be done as soon as possible to the "en" pages, so that other
> > translations have the information as well.
>
> this is not to happen anytime soon :-(((

So what can we do to make this possible or easier?
I would love to get an email when somebody does a change on
http://en.opensuse.org/Making_a_DVD_from_CDs or on
http://de.opensuse.org/Erstellen_einer_DVD_aus_den_CDs or on
http://en.opensuse.org/JA-Making_a_DVD_from_CDs even though I can't read
that last one.

Other people might then also be warned when a change is done on the page
and linked pages and thus get to implement these changes if they can

> > I admire your will to change things, I do not like the direction you want
> > to go. Please understand that this is not a flame. It is just my point of
> > view.
>
> I wish it could be possible, but it's not the actual french
> wiki state is a three month work 2 hours a day and it's not
> nearly done as well as I would like.
>
> translation is not a goal in itself. The goal is to attract
> as many people as we can, with the best doc we can.

Yes, and this goes for all languages, not only French. That is the reason
changes to the frontpage should be uniform and not just done on one
language.

I believe it is a bad idea to change one language and see if anybody likes
it and then later change it back and forth. I think a frontpage is
completely the wrong place to experiment. To me it looks un-organised and
it would scare me away, rather then be attracted to the whole project.

It shows how devided we are, whereas identical and only a translated
frontpage will show a unified coherent front.

houghi
und Arbeit,  und das Sein wichtiger als das Tun
                                        - Johannes Müller-Elmau