On Wednesday 14 March 2007 23:29, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > I was just trying to kill some processes on a Win2003 system today
> > and had to wait for the kernel to finish some tasks before it would
> > die.
>
> That can happen on Linux, too. Try to kill a process in a 'D' wait
> state. It's not possible. Extended duration of a D wait does imply a
> bug (usually in a disk or file system driver), but it happens.
        Whether a user at root level can kill a process is not necessarily a
test of
how well preemptive multitasking has been implimented. However, if the kernel
(or other ring zero processes) receive more time slice than other processes
on the system then there may be a problem... and the M$ kernel (and other
ring zero processes) are notorious for not playing well in the preemptive
sandbox.... which means, well, it ain't truly preemptive---  I will admit
that they have made huge strides from the early windoze days... but they are
no match for the linux kernel... no way.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><