On Saturday 16 June 2007 10:31, Philip Kisloff wrote:

> However, you're right to assume I'm a newbie, because I am :(/.  I've
> not been able to partition the external disk, but was thinking I had to
> mount it first for even that.

If you have no much experience and want to partition external HD you are good
advised to use YaST -- System -- Partitioner.

It is more verbose than command line tools and although it is in the moment
designed for users that are familiar with Linux terminology,
like  /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda5 etc, it will help you to create
partitions without knowing much more details.

BTW, if you want to learn how to use command line tools, that can give you
more of direct control you may look in the article:
  http://en.opensuse.org/Linux_Documentation
and
  http://en.opensuse.org/Manual_Pages

I started idea to describe various sources of information traditional to Linux
that I found extremely useful when I was new user, but no one picked up since
than :-(

--
Regards,
Rajko.